Starr Systems Design was hired to handle the audio part of this project, as the client needed a sound system to provide background music for a tavern. The tavern has two floors, two bars, a game area, and a private dining area.
- Sonos PLAY:3 and Sonos PLAY:1 speakers
- Flexon wall bracket
CUSTOMER WISH LIST
- Ability to control the volume of speakers for individual sections
- Capability to play different music in different areas
- Group speakers in various combinations
- Automate speakers to turn on automatically according to business hours
- Additional Cabling Needed: After surveying the space, a typical wired speaker solution was proposed that would require additional cabling
- Timeframe: This client wanted the system installed before their opening date, respectively
- Wireless Network Connectivity: The construction and design of the space over 3 floors was a challenge from a wireless network perspective
- 5 Independent Zones: The initial proposed solution for a typical wire speaker system would have required additional cabling to cover all the spaces. Instead, we looked at Sonos and created a solution that gave them 5 independent zones, using several ceiling and wall-mounted Sonos PLAY:3 and Sonos PLAY:1 speakers. We then used Flexson wall brackets to mount the speakers in locations that would provide the best sound coverage for each zone. In a few places, an electrical outlet was added to provide power for the Sonos speakers, while the sound remained wireless.
- Extra Installation Support: Our install took place the day of the restaurant’s opening, however it only took us half the time we allotted for, as it went seamlessly and we had some extra installation support. Everything was in place and we had time to train the client just in time for their opening!
- Sonos Boost: The use of a Sonos Boost helped with the wireless network connectivity issue across the 3 levels of the space, insuring that the Sonos speakers had good connectivity.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR With years of experience integrating IT and AV technologies for a range of applications, Steve Frantz recently joined Starr as a Sales and Design Associate. He is a technology volunteer with Village At Home, a local non-profit helping people age in place. When he isn’t working with technology and solving problems, he enjoys spending time with his wife and sons.